Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Pencak Silat Monyet

Saturday 11/4 - At class we went over Pencak Silat Monyet material. Not groundwork as I often associate it, but nasty elbow flows and combinations to destroy the attacker by overwhelming them. It was the combination of elbows in various ways to keep a constantly changing elbow shield that was extremely dynamic, and simultaneously offensive as a method of attack. Very destructive and very painful. It's really the combination of some drills I've done in the past, static elbow methods, elbow shielding, and an epiphany of the similarities in combination with the general study of movement, flow, and combativeness. Hard to summarize but very intruiging. I am working through it's presentation to formulate methods for training, etc. It is very monkey silat in style and brings together some of that from my history and training (all the way from the beginning of my training), into the current context of PSP.

We discussed it's value with langkah and pencak silat celing or boar silat manifestations which is essentially the same type of thing. The Silat Celing is the combination of drills, langkah, shielding, destructions, explosive entries, and kicking into an approach, that while simple, could take years of training. The Silat Monyet is the same type of thing for the upperbody.

In the near future I will try to lay out more of each of these, but I thought I would just give you an overview. I would hasten to say that I am very excited about the potential of each of these and though you don't know it yet, you will be too.

We also got to finish filming the Monyet-Harimau (I think) for Level 9 and the beginning of Level 10. I am still formulating how best to teach Levels 10-12 without making them too repetitive in nature. I don't want to give material that a person who is not part of the system could figure out, without participating in the earlier materials. In other words, I don't want the materials to be redundant which is a bit of a challenge because when working with a tool such as a knife, golok, sarong, you must be able to switch between principle, application, and movement based manifestations. I am looking at just filming exceptions to the core but working at ways to communicate that best. More thought will need to be given to it...

Hormat saya,
Sean

Guru Pencak Silat Pertempuran
www.combat-silat.net

2 comments:

Jay said...

I am looking forward to seeing more Monyet stuff and how it integrates into PSP.
Jay

Sean Stark said...

I'm excited about sharing it.