Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Big Picture of Pencak Silat Pertempuran

The last post I spoke about the name of Pencak Silat Pertempuran, it's foundations and reason for use.

in this blog post, I want to address one of the "Big Picture" ideas behind the formulation of PSP. There are several.

Pencak Silat Pertempuran was, and is, meant to be a workshop for pencak silat community for those who share in its foundation.

What does that mean? Everyone who participates in PSP has a legitimate stake in the direction and evolution of PSP. Likewise, it can, and will BE, whatever YOU make of it.

That said, it is my expectation that instructors of PSP will, not only grow themselves and their students skills, but that they will also bring that knowledge and growth back to the nucleus to be discussed, analyzed, dissected, and assimilated into the PSP curriculum. It is meant for the growth of all. I have shared my knowledge with you, be honorable and share your knowledge to me. Don't hoard it away or run off on your own, disappearing into the mist.

I don't expect robots in performance, in teaching, or in expression. The individual pesilat must bring themselves into PSP. By doing so, they are bound to see it differently, and their vision for it changes the course of PSP forever. That's the beauty and struggle of martial arts. 

There can be no doubt that I have ideas that I'm trying to communicate with the material and I've created a curriculum that is based on the sweat of generations, including my own BUT it is not sacred. If the curriculum needs to change, then let's change it—together! Don't criticize, instead critique and offer value. Help instead of harm. Do what's right instead of acting selfishly.

I have few expectations as the founder of Pencak Silat Pertempuran but I do have some. One expectation is the acknowledgment of where you learned and bringing your brothers and sisters within Pencak Silat Pertempuran (and other pesilat) along with you as you grow, or helping those struggling by giving them what they need. Likewise, this could include the greater pencak silat community.

I'm not looking for a kickback on your teaching and I won't strip away your instructor ranking. I gave you what I gave you because you earned it. Bring honor to it by sharing with the whole family.

No comments: